Maharashtra State Contract Labour Advisory Board: An Overview
The Maharashtra State Contract Labour Advisory Board is a statutory body that works towards the welfare of contract labourers in the state of Maharashtra. The board was established under the Contract Labour (Regulation and Abolition) Act, 1970, which is a central act that regulates the employment of contract labour in India.
The main objective of the board is to provide a platform for discussions, consultations, and negotiations between employers, contractors, and workers regarding the issues related to contract labour. The board aims to ensure that the rights of contract labourers are protected, and they are provided with fair wages, social security benefits, and other facilities as per the law.
Functions of the Board
The Maharashtra State Contract Labour Advisory Board performs various functions to achieve its objective of securing the welfare of contract labourers. Some of the significant functions of the board are as follows:
1. Advising the government: The board advises the government on matters related to contract labour, such as the formulation of policies, rules, and regulations.
2. Fixing minimum wages: The board fixes the minimum wages for contract labourers in various industries and ensures that they are paid as per the law.
3. Resolving disputes: The board helps in resolving disputes that arise between the employers and the contract labourers. It also assists in settling issues related to the payment of wages, leave, and other benefits.
4. Conducting inspections: The board conducts inspections of the premises where contract labourers are employed to ensure that the provisions of the law are being followed.
5. Creating awareness: The board creates awareness among the stakeholders about the rights and duties of contract labourers and encourages them to comply with the provisions of the law.
In conclusion, the Maharashtra State Contract Labour Advisory Board plays a crucial role in the protection of the rights of contract labourers in the state. It works towards ensuring that the contract labourers are provided with fair wages, social security benefits, and other facilities as per the law. The board acts as a bridge between the employers, contractors, and workers to resolve disputes and create awareness about the provisions of the law. The board`s efforts have led to the improvement of the working conditions and the overall welfare of contract labourers in the state.